Chief Internal Auditor, Risk & Compliance Officer
- In: Jobs and employment
- Date: Sept. 25, 2017, 11:26 a.m.
- Location: Kla Uganda
- ID: 310
Chief Internal Auditor, Risk & Compliance Officer
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Audit Committee of the Board Of Directors
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to - carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets - Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Chief Internal Auditor, Risk & Compliance Officer will manage the Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance functions within UEGCL by ensuring that the company and its employees are complying with regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures and the established risk management and internal control systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will serve as the head of Head of internal audit.
- Direct and control the work of the Internal Audit, Risk & Compliance Department.
- Provide inputs into the business strategy and lead and ensure the achievement of strategy in the department in support of UEGCL objectives.
- Keenly review the soundness and application of all systems and procedures and plans, including internal controls and their compliance to good utility management practices
- Prepare and implement audit plans and programs
- Furnish the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis with internal audit, compliance and risk management reports on the key issues that came to the attention of the Department and how Management has addressed those issues.
- Regularly review the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and means used to identify, measure, classify and report such information.
- Review the means of safeguarding assets and verify the existence of such assets.
- Carry out assignments as may be assigned by the Finance & Audit Committee, the Governance, Risk and Compliance Committee, Committees of the Board and the CEO.
- Develop, implement and coordinate UEGCL’s risk management strategy
- Keenly monitor and report on the compliance of the company and its employees with regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures.
- Assess and propose appropriate recommendations for improving the governance frame work and accomplishment of its objectives
- Plan for adequate manpower with the right competencies in the Department
- Conduct day to day supervision for all the staff in the Department
- Monitor departmental budgets and assets. 16. Maintain a robust risk register for the company.
- Represent the department in management meetings or appropriate committees of the Board
- Prepare and submit annual work plans/compact for the department to Management
- Ensure that internal controls are in place and functioning as intended and that value for money is obtained.
- Coordinate with external auditors or office of the Auditor General ensure that they are well briefed on areas of concern.
- Keenly review risk management, control and governance processes and identify area of improvement.
- Report both to the Finance and Audit committee and Management of UEGCL on the policies, programs and activities of the Board.
- Ensure copies the internal audit reports are submitted with the external auditor or office of the Auditor General.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s Degree in Business Studies , Accounting or Management
- Full professional qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CPA, or other internationally recognized professional accounting qualification.
- Full membership of the Institute of Internal Auditors, CIA, CISA
- A minimum of five years’ experience at Senior Management in a large reputable organization in Audit and Accounting fields.
- Leadership skills
- Good people and stakeholder management skills
- Performance Management
- Highly analytical, testing and sampling skills
- Good negotiation and influencing skills
- High degree of professionalism
- Knowledge of Audit Strategy.
- Knowledge of Audit Methodology and scope:
- Broad knowledge and understanding Risk, Control and Governance
- Management of Audits skills
- Good reporting skills
- Computer & IT competencies
- Age: Below 45 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Block C, Plot 6-9 Victoria Office park, Okot Close, Bukoto,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 2nd October 2017